Lone Star Honor Flight is a Montgomery County community effort originally designed to send World War II veterans to Washington , DC to see the WWII Memorial.
- Over 500 World War II veterans from Montgomery County and neighboring counties were transported for a full one day trip to Washington DC to experience the WWII, Korea , Vietnam , and Marine memorials. A trip to Arlington National Cemetery was accomplished before the late night trip back to home in Texas .
- A typical flight (there were five flights) began in Conroe with a 4:30AM sendoff with 400-500 well-wishers, most carrying flags and dressed in patriotic clothing. The trip finished back in Conroe approximately 19 hours later which made for a very full and complete day.
- Over 1500 individuals contributed their time and their money to make these flights possible. Following the May 22, 2010 flight the mission was considered completed and presently no more trips are planned.
Since the completion of Flight 2 in May 2009 veterans have been celebrating a weekly Veterans' Day every Wednesday morning from 9AM to 11AM at Lone Star Honor Flight Headquarters (Storage 105 and Mail Store, 13921 Hwy 105W, Conroe, TX 77304) ( www.storage105.com )
Directions: Go west on Hwy 105W six miles from IH45. Headquarters is marked by a large American Flag which was donated to all Veterans in a ceremony which took place on May 5, 2010.
Weekly celebrations often have different themes and/or surprises.
- The first Wednesday of every month features a complete a hot breakfast for provided by Buster Bowers from Vernon 's Kuntry Katfish ( www.kuntrykatfish.com ).
- A repeat trip to Texas World Speedway is planned for Sept. 4, 2010 to see the CVAR Vintage Races.
- Plans are in the works for a trip to the new H.E.A.R.T.S Veterans Museum of Texas in October 2010
A sky-diving adventure is being planned for November 2010 and is being organized by our Bryan veteran group that went to Washington as part of Flight 4. This group is regularly seen at the Wednesday morning meetings.
For additional information contact Brenda Beaven or Jack McClanahan at Storage 105
Donations may be made online using the PayPal donate button below or sent to the following address:
Lone Star Honor Flight
C/O Storage 105
13921 HWY 105W Conroe, TX 77304